Hell is not punishment,
it's training.
Shunryu Suzuki

8 jun 2011

Selfless Love in Vanity Fair




      The quality of Captain Dobbin's love for Amelia Sedley / Osborne puts me very much in mind of Venn's words to Eustacia in The Return of the Native, by Thomas Hardy:

 "I would sooner have married her myself," he said in a low voice. "But what I feel is that if she cannot be happy without him I will do my duty in helping her to get him, as a man ought." 

I have copied the pic from the 2004 film version, which I have not seen. Apparently, the 1998 BBC miniseries is hands-down the winner, according to the Jane Austen Film Club. So, as soon as I'm done reading there's a good chance I'll be doing some viewing.


  

1 comentario:

  1. A sense of duty! I love that, even if it sounds old-fashioned to the contemporary ear.
    By the way, mister, I should recommend you the latest Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris". So shallow and joyful and pure cliché... and so wonderful!
    www.elcineenquevivimos.es

    ResponderEliminar